Saturday, December 09, 2006

Quick Meme

I have an assignment to do for my Masters degree and it must be done before Christmas along with the 1001 other things on my list to do in time for Christmas. Anyway, the upshot is that I don't have time right now to share more of my NYC exploits with you so I thought I'd leave you with a little meme I found while doing the rounds (thanks to Claire at http://beingmeblog.typepad.com/). It's nice and simple and if you would like to do it then the rules are as follows:

Rules:
1. Go to Wikipedia
2. In the search box, type your birth month and day (but not year)
3. Choose 3 events that happened on your birthday
4. Choose 2 important births and 1 interesting death
5. Post it!

So, my birthday is on 28th June:

Events:
1838 - The coronation of Victoria of the United Kingdom.
1914- Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophia are assassinated in Sarajevo by young Serbian nationalist Gavrilo Princip , the casus belli of World War I.
1919 - The Treaty of Versailles is signed in Paris, formally ending World War I between Britain, France, Italy, the United States and allies on the one side and Germany and Austria Hungary on the other side.

Births:
1966- John Cusack, American actor (I just love his acting, even if I don't always love his fims)
1577- Peter Paul Rubens, Belgian painter

Interesting Death:
Did you not notice that WW1 practically started on my birthday?!! (See entry under 'Events')

So, hopefully you've learned something by visiting today :-)

More NYC to come soon...

11 comments:

rashbre said...

Thanks for visiting rashbre central.

You said you were listening to the Scissor Sisters new CD. Here's the Scissor Sisters with Franz Ferdinand live jamming a Bowie tune

Okay, so its not the best recording, but hey!

rashbre

OldLady Of The Hills said...

So many interesting and important things happened on your day---one day after my birthday...!
I'll have to try this!! Very Interesting my dear Bob-Kat!

craziequeen said...

I've seen this one going around....and I like my two very different 'events'....

4 Nov

1922 - In Egypt, British archaeologist Howard Carter and his men find the entrance to King Tutankhamun's tomb in the Valley of the Kings.

1994 - San Francisco: First conference that focused exlusively on the subject of the commercial potential of the World Wide Web

Interesting......

1961 - Ralph Macchio, American actor
1969 - Matthew McConaughey, American actor

and a death......

1918 - Wilfred Owen, English poet (b. 1893)

One of the greatest WWI poets, along with Siegfried Sassoon....

cq
Here via Michele, hon.

Dirt Digger said...

Can't do Meme's on my blog, but this one is interesting!

Hi, Michele sent me!

Just to let you know so you don't think my blog has a bug, there's no comments, but thanks for visiting!

craziequeen said...

Me again.....by Michele....

:-)

cq

Anonymous said...

Hi Bobkat - its taken me a while to get here but I'll stay a while , if that's ok and try to get the wilki thing - my birthday is 4 days before yours.. cancerian too

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob-kat

I thought you would like to know, also, that 28th June is THE MOST important date in history for the Serbs.

June 28 - Battle of Kosovo between Serbs and Ottomans. Both the Serbian Prince Lazar and Murad I were killed in battle.
1389 - Ottoman and Serbian armies fight the bloody battle of Kosovo, opening the way for the Ottoman conquest of Southeastern Europe (see Vidovdan).

(If you would like to learn more about it: http://www.srpska-mreza.com/bookstore/kosovo/kosovo19.htm )

Vidovdan (Видовдан) is a religious holiday, St. Vitus' Day, observed on June 28 in the Serbian and Bulgarian Orthodox calendar.

We in Serbia believe that you can see the future in your dreams on that day. ;)

I just thought it would be interesting for you to know these things. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob-kat

I thought you would like to know, also, that 28th June is THE MOST important date in history for the Serbs.

June 28 - Battle of Kosovo between Serbs and Ottomans. Both the Serbian Prince Lazar and Murad I were killed in battle.
1389 - Ottoman and Serbian armies fight the bloody battle of Kosovo, opening the way for the Ottoman conquest of Southeastern Europe (see Vidovdan).

(If you would like to learn more about it: http://www.srpska-mreza.com/bookstore/kosovo/kosovo19.htm )

Vidovdan (Видовдан) is a religious holiday, St. Vitus' Day, observed on June 28 in the Serbian and Bulgarian Orthodox calendar.

We in Serbia believe that you can see the future in your dreams on that day. ;)

I just thought it would be interesting for you to know these things. :)

utenzi said...

I did that meme on Friday and I also got it from Claire.

The 1914 assassination of Franz Ferdinand was so pivotal in world history. It's interesting to see that the event that led to WW1 and the treaty that ended the war were both on June 28.

Michele sent me over, Bob-kat.

MaR said...

My bday is on Oct 7.Libra!

Events:
1769 - English explorer, Captain Cook, discovers New Zealand
1968 - Hollywood adopts the movie ratings system
2003 - California governor Gray Davis is recalled and replaced by Arnold Schwarzenegger

Births:
1931 - Desmond Tutu, South African archbishop and Nobel Laureate
1952 - Vladimir Putin, 2nd
President of Russia

:)

Unknown said...

I share a birthday with both Bilbo and Frodo Baggins!