Friday, July 27, 2007

Fight Camp & Floods

A while ago I promised you a post on the fight camp I went to a couple or so weekends back. This was a training camp for Western Martial Arts groups across Europe and was held at the Royal Gunpowder Mills. I have been practising WMA for about 18 months now and it is a great way to keep fit and is also great for confidence. The training weekend was a great opportunity to practise with other groups and pick up lots of tips. As well as the classes there was also a jousting tournament and a display by a Gatka group.

WMA or Historical Fencing is the practice of weapons-based martial arts. The techniques are of European origin and involve the use of swords, shields, daggers and stick fighting. Often these techniques were passed down orally and so very little was recorded. There are very few surviving texts so much information may have been lost as these techniques fell out of favour with the widespread adoption of the firearm but thankfully the techniques of some of the masters are not lost. One of the people that attended put together this video of the weekend which is a great account of it. I hope you enjoy it (those of you who don't like heavy rock music should turn the volume down, those who do might want to turn it up!).



****************************************************************

The flood water in Gloucestershire is receding nicely though the rivers are still very full and the land is very soggy in places. Now the clear up is underway in earnest. There is still no fresh water there (it's been 6 days so far) and the supermarkets are out of fresh food. Bottled water is being handed out but some people are being greedy and taking more then they need and then trying to sell it on despite it being rationed. The water bowsers are always empty. My father went around 11 the other night and they were all empty. This is not great for a man in his 70's. Apparently, people have been taking more then they need and also vandals have been breaking off the taps and letting the water out. Unbelievable! Some vigilante groups are now guarding their bowsers!

Anyway, my parents came down yesterday to get some washing done and have a hot shower. It is very important that my mother's legs are kept clean and they have clean bedding and clothes and it is not easy under the circumstances. The journey down was obviously tricky for my mother but she was glad of the chance to wash properly. We also picked up some fresh food and water for them before they went home. My brother and sister are coming down this weekend with their washing too so I'm thinking of opening as a launderette! Hopefully they will get the water back on soon so their lives can get back to normal.

I also hope that my mother gets some medical care soon. I saw her legs and they looked awful. She is obviously in a great deal of discomfort too. They tried to get through to the doctor's surgery but that was flooded and is closed. I can't believe they discharged her from the hospital with no aftercare, especially considering she is on antibiotics (and about a dozen other drugs) with her kidney problems. There is no-one monitoring her bloods at all. We are all keeping an eye on her though. Hopefully they can get some medical support soon. Thanks to all who visit and continue to leave well wishes :)

23 comments:

Pat said...

The fight camp looked cool! Were there any casualties?
Too bad your parents are in the flood area. My friend Margaret's daughter in Cheltenham is in exactly the same position. I'm glad the Red Cross have opened a Flood Fund and I hope people support it.
It is a worry about your mother, especially with the water situation. I would have thought she was a special case and warrants some extra care. Michele says hl!

Just a trumpet player said...

So sorry about your mother. Hopes everything goes back to normal, very quickly.

Makes me oh-so-glad to live in a country where so little happens...

Michele sent me ; hope you'll have a great weekend !

Anonymous said...

Hello, Michele sent me.

The fight camp looked fun but I don't think the music was the best fit for the footage.

Sorry to hear how rough things are but glad to hear you are able to help your family. Good luck.

rashbre said...

Yikes! the flooding looks awful - I have been off the air for a few days and not heard so much about it. I've been hearing more about European hat waves - strange how news gets reported.

I hope you and yours are safe and that the current water management is not too tedious. Sometimes its better to think if you have relatives or friends in another are and can simply uproot for a few days whilst things settle.

I have some friends in the Gloucester area and your post prompts me to make contact with them tonight.

Stay safe.

And Hi - here today from Sweden via Michele's.

rashbre

Michael K. Althouse said...

Fight camp looks like fun!

It sounds like the calamity is finally dying down, now you can get back to making sure your mother gets the care she needs and that your father doesn't have to carry the load.

Michele sent me, sort of,

Mike

Shephard said...

Wow, quite a flood. Sounds just like hurricane prep/aftermath from my 14 years in Florida.

Oh, my Brit friends will so disappointed in me when I admit that I don't know the term Bowsers. (here in the state, it's an old slang for dogs, or less-attractive people).

Continuing to focus on positive thoughts your way.
~S

Bernie said...

I am really feeling for the people in the UK affected by the floods, so I hope that they receed soon. We had our own little bit of flooding back in June, so I know how you are feeling.

I hope that your mum gets some relief soon as well, it was bad to be released without after care and drugs I mean medication!!!

Was beaten to the post by seconds, but thought I woulc come all the same. Here from Michele's!

BreadBox said...

How often do you do/intend to do these fight camps? Seems like fun.
Michele sent me.
N.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Back from Michele's, BK. I was wondering in that video... those swords must be very sharp. Do you all keep and maintain your own equipment and weapons?

Mike

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is really horrific about no medical follow ups on your Mum...It seems so callous...I hope she gets some medical attention soon, and I hope they get their water back soon, too...And I dearly hope that there is some nice long relief from the rains, too....
I have to come back and look at that video...I wanted to come over and visit you before I have my Therapy Session...and to say, I wish you could see how enormous that stalk is and how big the flower pods are, AND how really small the Hummingbirds are! More pictures coming soon...!

Little Miss Muffet said...

oh i've been in that situation when I was in India...Bombay was flooded and we were without water for a couple of days ...it was incredibly difficult..isn't it funny how we take things for granted, such as the facility to have water available all the time, and appreciate it only when we lose it?

Anonymous said...

Michele sent sent me here so that I enquire about your motner's health. Don't worry too much. Everything is gonna be ok!

MaR said...

We watched the news while on vacation and couldn't believe what was happening. Now I can't believe people are not holding together when they are all in need...So sorry about this...
But since you are at it: could I bring my vacation laundry to you too? at least we could share a cup of tea :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I came back my dear to watch that Video. All I could think about as they kept cutting into those big water bottles was the NEED for water there where your parents live....Those swords must be horrendously sharp to be able to cut into those Water Jugs like that Kind of scary.....But, very interesting!

Melody said...

Bloody UK health system! That is terrible. You're poor mother! I hope she gets some proper medical care soon... (You know you could send everyone who needs their washing done this way! Heehee!!)

kenju said...

Bob-kat, it is possible for your mom to change doctors? I can't believe they discharged her without follow-up care. That is neglect at best. I am so glad they could come to you for a respite.

Carli N. Wendell said...

I'm sorry for your parents' circumstances. We didn't have water for about 7 hours a few weeks ago, and after it came back on, we had to boil it for 2 days. Knowing this, and knowing that the surrounding communities had plenty of water, didn't stop people from buying WAY more than they needed. There's overreacting to an emergency situation, and then there's just plain greediness. I hope your parents make it through okay. It must be awful.
Here from Michele.

carmilevy said...

I love that tune. It got my heart going!

I'm so glad the flood situation seems to finally be heading in the right direction. I'm always amazed at how wonderful a community can be when disaster of this scale strikes.

And I'm still praying for your mum. And still in awe of your strength in supporting her through this.

carmilevy said...

Oops, I have no memory today: sorry! Michele sent me. She didn't have to, of course, 'cuz I want to come here regardless.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Hi BK,

I'm back from Michele's and putting out fires! It's not even a full moon yet - my word! I hope all is well with you and your parents.

Mike

Michael K. Althouse said...

BTW: In light of a recent comment on my post and one over at Michele's, I should ask...

Does it bother you when I refer to you as "BK?"

BreadBox said...

Hi Bob-kat --- Michele sent me to ask whether the flooding had all cleared up now, and how your parents are hanging in?
Hope it's a good weekend:-)
N.

Anonymous said...

My husband (who is from England) told me England was flooded, but I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw this post. It's horrible what you and your family are going through. My family's house was also destroyed by a flood (what is referred to as the "Great Flood of '93" here in the states, and we experienced similar problems.

My heart goes out to you.... Michele sent me to send virtual hugs...