Friday, May 26, 2006

Czech this out


I have wanted to go to Prague for quite a bit. I don't know why. I think I saw it on TV and just decided that I had to go for myself. Well, now I have and I wasn't disappointed. Prague is a wonderful city to visit. Full of beautiful architecture, impressive churches, bridges, narrow cobbled streets, little street cafes and bars, a wonderful castle, museums and plenty of history. There are loads of shops selling Czech goods such as crystal and wooden toys and puppets. In one such shop I was insanely happy to be reaquainted with a blast from the past when I found a toy Mole which was a Czech cartoon character that I adored as a small child.

The first evening I was there, I dumped my stuff at the hotel as I couldn't wait to get out and see the place. Every corner turned was a new discovery and I just wandered around taking everything in until it clouded over suddenly and I got caught in a big electric storm and torrential rain. I wasn't bothered though. I was in an exciting foreign city and the storm just added to the adventure. I spent the next three days walking miles looking around and taking it all in. The view from the castle across the red roofs of the city is amazing and I also went on a lovely boat trip down the Vltava river which runs through the city. All I can say, is the pictures don't do it justice. Go and see it for yourself but avoid the weekends - as I was leaving I saw several stag parties lurching through the airport about to be let loose on Prague so it was the right time to get back on the plane.

5 comments:

Jillian said...

Beautiful photo! My husband got caught in a torrential downpour while touring Quebec City. Unbeknownst to him, he'd left the camcorder on, inside its case. So I was able to listen to all the muffled sounds of my husband moving around the city in the rain!

Wendy directed me here.

Shephard said...

I loved the photos of Czech. We are thinking about a trip like this. Was nice to see beautiful photos!

~S

Shephard said...

I had a question I forgot to ask....
Was it hard being in a country that isn't a latin-based language?
I wondered if that makes traveling there more difficult. The beauty would be worth it regardless.
~S

Bobkat said...

Funnily enough the language wasn't a problem as nearly everyone spoke good English! My few attempts to speak Czech often ended in mirth and/or confusion so I gave up trying to pronounce long strings of consonants in the end! Very ahrd to get your tongue around! I stuck with please, thank you, hello and goodbye in Czech though as I like to make an effort.

carmilevy said...

This picture should be framed. It's utterly stunning!

Digging into your archives following a visit to Michele's. Hope that's OK!