Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Not just a cat

My cat Bob, the namesake of this blog, has been my constant companion for around 17 - 18 years. I can't remember exactly how long we have been together without looking at his adoption certificate as it seems like he's always been here. Ever since I bought him home and he decided he would like to stay with me we have been pretty much inseparable (excepting work for me and some naps for him).

My relationship with Bob outlasted my marriage, and in fact Bob was there letting me cry into his fur when it all went horribly wrong. He was there too recently when I had my thyroid surgery and applied the simple therapy he was so good at dispensing, a cuddle. He was also there when I went through hell and anaemia with fibroids three years ago. When I was studying for my MBA he would usually sit with me, and help by wandering across my desk, sitting on my notes and nudging me. I liked it best when he would sit on the windowsill by my right shoulder, making little kitty snoring noises. He was there too when I left the theatre and changed careers, whenI bought my first house and everything else over the years. Bob is not 'just a cat', not to me.

Bob had to go to the vets today. He's been looking very under the weather and I was worried. They kept him in to treat dehydration and do some tests. Turns out Bob most likely has cancer and it is most likely lymphoma. All the signs support the diagnosis. I have been asked to consider my options including... I can't even write it at the moment. I am waiting to see how he does overnight on the rehydration therapy. Steroids are an option but basically will only buy some time. I have been told to not expect much.

14 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I'm so sorry. There is never any such thing as "just a pet." Love him and be strong for him. Sometimes that's all we can do.

Sleepypete said...

Fingers crossed for Bob :-)

Hopefully it's just a scare.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh heck BK, I'm sorry to hear that :( I know Bobkat has been there with you through thick and thin for a long time.
I'll bet he's had one of the best lives a cat has ever lived.

kenju said...

Bob-kat, I know how you must be feeling. Bob is as close as any family member and probably more than some. I do hope he will be comfortable in his last days and that you will find peace and solace.

pink dogwood said...

My stomach went weird went I read the first line of this post. I just hope, hope, and pray that he gets better - be brave

Kathryn said...

Been thru similar & know how awful it is. Pets become dear companions & part of the family. I do hope he's ok.

You're both in my prayers.

Shephard said...

I sympathize so very deeply. Our two oldest are 17 and 18. But you never know... I had friends whose kitty pull right out of this very thing. I will hold that thought for you and your dear sweet kitty.
~S

MaR said...

Keeping your cat Bob and you in my thoughts...

Zeus said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I know how much you love Bob, and I am sure you both will pull thru this together. My thoughts are with both of you.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you and your friend.

And yes, I mean "friend."

Dianne said...

Oh BK, I know how this feels

I'm sending good thoughts and gentle hugs

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I think you know I went through some of this with one of my pair earlier this year. I totally know your pain, my friend.

Holler if I can do anything.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Bobket's been there for you and he know's you're there for him. He's family and you know him best and what's best for him *hugs*.

I hope things aren't as bad as they seem.

Take care.

Shruti said...

For all those with pets, our pets aren't just pets to us.
I remember when we use to have cats, when we walked into our house, the first thing we looked out for was the cat.. even before a drink!