Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Back again!


What can I say? I loved loved LOVED Barcelona! It was a wonderful city awash with history, wonderful architecture, sights and things to do, colourful and vibrant. I was only there for a short time but I saw and did so much! I visited La Pedrera, the Sagrada Familia, Barcelona Zoo, Monjuic castle, Las Ramblas, Port Vell and walked for miles and miles until my feet and legs ached at the end of every day. I also met up with my blog friend, Mar of Maremagnum.

We arranged to meet on my first evening in Barcelona as Mar was heading off on a trip of her own, skiing in France. I had arrived in a rather damp and grey Barcelona and I was tired by the time I got to the hotel. The trip across the city via train and Metro was not as simple as I thought it would be but it was a useful lesson in how the system worked and served me well for the rest of my visit. Once I had freshened up, M and I set off to find La Pedrera, one of the famous Gaudi buildings, which is where we had arranged to meet up with Mar.

It was raining when we got there and La Padrera was surrounded by French school children. I was worried I would miss her in the throng so we stood by the door of the souvenir shop , while Mar waited inside because of the rain. Anyway, she spotted us and it was like meeting an old friend. We went for coffee in a wonderful place nearby that was full of scenes made from chocolate including, quite bizarrely, Sesame Street characters and one based on Japanese architecture, complete with a Samurai warrior that appeared to be executing an Easter chick! Still, it all smelt delicious when we went in and sat drinking coffee while we waited for Mr Mar to finish work. Alas, Mr Mar could not join us but we got a great view of La Pedrera from the office building and it was lovely to meet him. So we went for Tapas with Mar while she waited for Mr Mar to finish, at a wonderful and bustling little Tapas bar where we sampled some tasty Catalan food.

We talked so much and about so many things, from blogging (of course) to our lives, geography (the differences and similarities between things in Spain and the UK) and many other things. The visit was over far too quickly before we had to go our separate ways. It was wonderful meeting Mar. She comes over exactly as she does on her blog. Vivacious, friendly and warm. I liked her very much and I hope we get to meet again one day.

I took over 500 photos while I was in Barcelona and will be posting more about my trip soon.

18 comments:

kenju said...

I really look forward to your photos, Bob-kat! I would have loved to be meeting you and Mar, and to visit that wonderful city!

Melody said...

Oooo wonderful!! *jealous* Can't wait to see some piccies...

Linda said...

Ah, welcome home! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip, and I look forward to your photos...and the stories behind them!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back and looking forward to the pics. With 500, you've probably got the makings of at least 150 blog posts!

Cheers.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Welcome back! It sounds like you had a wonderful time and I'm looking forward to your pics!

rashbre said...

Looking forward to your no doubt diverse pix from Barca.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! I'm certainly looking forward to seeing some of the photos :)

Smiler said...

Wow, sounds like you had a great trip! I'll check out your photo blog for those pictures, as I'd love to go there myself. As an apology for not having been here in ages, I was going to say I don't get out much (and that goes for everybody else too, believe me!) but all I had to do today was poke my nose out a bit and next thing you know I'm on the other side of the Atlantic! How cool!

Thanks for that.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

h HOW FABULOUS, dear B-K...To meet Mar....!!!
Barcelona sounds like such an exciting beautiful city...If I could still travel, that is one of the places I would LOVE to go...I cannot wait to see your pictures, my dear....Gaudi was a GENIUS ARTIST, wasn't he?

David Edward said...

welcome home BK, glad you had a good time

Moon said...

Oh how wonderfull!! To visit Barcelona and to meet a blog friend!! How cool is that!! I look forward to seeing lots of pics!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

HAPPY EASTER, DEAR BOB-KAT....I hope you have a lovely weekend!

Anonymous said...

A quick hit to say, "Happy Easter," dear.

Cheers.

Dianne said...

better late than never
welcome back!!
I'm so glad you had a good time and I look forward to the photos

Zeus said...

Welcome back, Bobkat! I missed you! I cannot wait to see all of your wonderful pictures. It sounds like you had a terrific time with Mar. :)

Nepharia said...

Hey, when are you going to post your photos? 500? Ok, I'll cut you some slack.

Thumper said...

Net Chick sent me to feel a little jealous... The picture you've posted so far are amazing, I can't wait to see more.

Shephard said...

I can't wait to see you photos! :)
~S