Friday, February 06, 2009

Here We Snow Again


Well, no sooner had the snow that had fallen at the end of the week melted, than the world where I live was painted white again. And this time there was more than before. I love it when I wake up and look out of the window to see the street where I live has been transformed into a winter wonderland. Everyday things look so pretty when covered in snow.


Of course big kid that I am, I had to go out in it and take some photos despite the lack of sun and threat of more snow (which came again the next night!). I just love the crunch of snow beneath my feet as I sink through the layers of freshly fallen fat flakes.

Of course, the flip side of the coin is how disruptive the snow has been here. As we get snow so infrequently (and when it does come it usually thaws the same day) we are often ill prepared to handle it. My little car is real wheel drive and so it likes to slip and slide around in the ice given half a chance, even when I weigh the boot down.


Our side roads have largely remained ungritted (as the UK is running short already) and so only main routes are passable, schools are closed, the mail hasn't been delivered for two days, public transport is cancelled or delayed, my rubbish bin remains unemptied, I have been working from home and my social plans have had to be cancelled.


And yet, I am still happy to see the snow. I think it must be the novelty of it all. Even though I have to go out and clear my drive. The photos here were all taken in my back garden. I think even my rusty old wheel barrow looks good with a dusting of snow! I thought about making a snow man but couldn't bring myself to disturb the perfectly smooth white blanket draped across my garden. It will rain later today and it will all melt away. I am glad I got to take some photos. Apparently this is the most snow we have had in this part of the country for 20 years!

19 comments:

My Unfinished Life said...

love the pics......all of my friends in london have posted pics of the snow fall there...and it looks just heavenly!!!!

Sleepypete said...

Sister's been forced to work at home as well ...

She has an MR2, the rear wheel drive hasn't been too good when trying to get out of the estate she lives on.

I got one snowman built :-)

Tawcan said...

Great pics, certainly weird to see snowy pics from UK. I really hope we get some more snow here in Van. Ok maybe not in the city but rather up in the mountains. We haven't had snow for the last few weeks now and the ski hills are getting rather icy & dangerous to ski down.

Here via NetChick.

kenju said...

I'm glad you got it, since you like it. Just keep it over there, please!!

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

It froze here last night, but our snow only started melting today and we've had snow since last Monday afternoon... though I hear we're due some more tomorrow night!

Gwynne said...

Beautiful photos! I agree...even the ordinary looks extraordinary in a dusting of snow. So pretty. Glad you're able to work at home and enjoy it without the hazards that sometimes accompany a good snow.

Dianne said...

the photos are great! all that color buried in snow

I heard somewhere that there were no snow plows in all of London - and very few outside of the city

I guess that'll have to change if this a new weather pattern

Al Gore would be the guy to ask ;)

Dale Challener Roe said...

I love the picture of the gate.

NetChick sent me...

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE your pictures, my dear B-K...I got such a feeling of specialness with this particular shots....ALL so pretty and inviting...! I also see how Happy it has made you...And isn't that FUN!

Man Named Kim said...

there is something so renewing about a fresh layer of snow. thanks for sharing this experience and the pictures.

NetChick sent me, today!

Michael K. Althouse said...

Nice pics. It never snows here. Actually, to listen to the long-time locals, it has once or twice, but I don't think it ever stuck. In any case, we're short on any precipitation this year so far, so the rain coming tonight is welcome.

From Tanya this time,

Mike

David Edward said...

i posted a footprint picture also
I love visiting you an a cloudy snowy Sunday
AFTER church of course!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh, these are lovely! I especially LOVE LOVE LOVE the wheelbarrow!

Anonymous said...

Back in the loop finally and am catching up. I always thought Britain had more snow. I trust you're not burning furniture to survive.

Cheers.

Moon said...

All I gotta say is WELCOME TO MY WORLD! LOL, only difference is, it sticks here for 6 months lol.

srp said...

I wish we had a bit here in Virginia Beach... we have had several threats but no flakes.

My brother is doing an opera at Coventry in the West End and his performance last week was cancelled... he was in shock! In Indiana and Pennsylvania, where we mostly grew up, it had to be 10 inches or more for them to even think of closing schools.

Stephen said the station he takes the sub on was closed due to the snow and he had to walk a mile with three suitcases to catch it at the next station. He had a week between performances so he went back to Vienna. I believe he is back in England today with two more performances and then is off to Geneva.

Shephard said...

Those are wonderful snow pix... really nice captures, shots framed well. Almost makes me want to have snow. lol :)
~S

Anonymous said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=13911787&postID=8012234241649025267&page=1

Anonymous said...

Welcome to 五島列島
Welcome to 水産加工
Come to 牡蠣
Come to きびなご