Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Not a Night at the Opera

It has taken me a while to sort through the photographs I took whilst in Vienna. I never realised I took so many as I honestly did not spend all of my time viewing things through a lens. My tactic is much more one of seeing something for myself and taking it in with my own eyes and experiencing being there, then if the urge takes me, if the subject demands me to capture the moment, then I will lift the camera and view life through a lens.

For me, part of the fun of being on holiday is taking photographs. It allows me to tap into my creative side and allows me to merge two of my most favourite things, travelling and exploring new places with taking photos. Of course, once I return the creative process continues as I sort through my photos and file them. This always allows me to savour my break as the images transport me back to where I took them. Even though I use a dSLR camera I prefer not to rely on software enhancement of my pictures, preferring to compose my shots in situ, so when I get back minimal treatment is required. Sometimes though I see a photo that just screams for the artistic treatment.

My last day in Vienna was overcast compared to the other days which had been hot and sunny and as such the photos were moody. I felt that, for some of them, this lent itself perfectly to black and white and so I have converted the images to monochrome and I am very happy with them. The images below are of the Weiner Staatsoper, home to the Vienna State Opera.

The shot above was taken from the roof of the Albertina museum which is opposite the opera house. The original Opernhaus was inaugurated in 1869 with Mozart's Don Giovanni but was gutted by fire in 1945 during WWII. The foyer, the main stairways, the vestibule and the tea room were spared. The rebuilt theatre, the Staatsoper, seating more than 2,200, reopened in 1955 with Beethoven's Fidelio. The opera house has hosted some of the finest directors and opera singers.


I just love the photo above which is of one of the covered and arched walkways that surround the perimeter and form part of the building. This photo was taken standing near the stage door. I was walking around the outside of the building when I noticed this couple ahead of me and thought that it made a good composition.

I very much hoped to go to the opera while I was in Vienna but alas tickets are hard to come by and very expensive (unless you want to stand with obstructed viewing!). This time I did not make it and had to content myself with a circuit of the opera house but I did go to a very fine concert by the Vienna Imperial Orchestra who played Mozart and Strauss (of course, Vienna having been home to the musical Strauss family) with opera singers and ballet dancers. I had a wonderful evening, even if it wasn't the opera.

I am still sorting through my photos so there is much more to come!

22 comments:

Niall young said...

the monochrome suits the architecture..and shows something of the cleanliness that is Vienna.

Anonymous said...

Niiiiice. It just boggles my mind to think that parts of that opera house were standing in the 1800's.

Great photos and commentary BK...thanks.

Little Miss Muffet said...

wow..the black and white pics look so good..waiting for the rest...and btw, totally envy you for the trip :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What wonderful pictures, B-K...I love all the things you said, leading up to actually showing us these two pictures....So well expressed, my deae...So Well Said!

This Opera House being rebuilt in the 'period' feeling...BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL....!
I LOVE LOVE LOVW that second picture....I want to say---perspective....But truthfully...Whatever! It's just a WONDERFUL PERFECT PICTURE!
Thanks, so much, my dear....!

Melody said...

Wonderful photographs BK. In a way they relate to how you must have been feeling... The perspective in both shots are wonderful.

craziequeen said...

I agree with Melody, I feel that, maybe subconsciously, the pictures reflect your feelings and emotions.

The second one with the couple is superb - such a dramatic corridor and the two elderly folkses still holding hands.

cq

MaR said...

Beautiful, Bob-kat...the b/w makes it all more dramatic, just like an opera...
Vienna is such a majestic place!

Anonymous said...

Years ago, I was very lucky to get decent seats at the Staatsoper, perhaps because the opera was some modern treatment of the end of the Hapsburg Dynasty. It was completely unremarkable except for the last line:

"Manchmal was man moecht so gern, liegt oft so fern.

Love the photos and can't wait for more.

Cheers.

BreadBox said...

Those two images are beautifully composed!
N.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for your visit, my dear B-K, and your lovely words, too! I know we feel pretty much the same about the satisfaction of taking pictures---It surely feeds my soul, and I know that is true for you, too...These pictures of yours truly reveal that in a BIG way.

diyadear said...

hey bob-kat,
very nice pictures.. u are so professional!!

Shephard said...

There is texture galore in that 2nd one... I'm with you... it's a stunning capture. Really interesting, and the eye never tires.

~S

Anonymous said...

I like the architecture. Thanks for the photographs!

Michele sent me her to hug you better!

{((HUGS))}

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi My Dear...I was just over at Michele's before I hit the Zzzzzzz,s and I saw that you are not feeling well at all! I am sorry to read that...
I was commenting on gautami and you were there just before her....
I do hope is nothing serious....Take Very Good Care Of Yourself! (((((hugs)))))

Lisa said...

hello, Michele sent me! I love the picture of the opera house. To me, its so ominous looking, especially in black and white. Can't wait to see more photos!

BreadBox said...

Sorry you are feeling icky and needing to stay lying on the sofa --- but then, that is what laptops are for. And when I lie on the sofa, my laptop is often a cat....
Michele sent me this time: hope that you approve of my niceness choices!
N.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Great shots. I like the one of the walkway too.

Michele sent me,

mike

Tawcan said...

Cool I was there back in 2004. So many cool buildings in Vienna...or Europe in general.

Oh Michele sent me here.

awareness said...

Love the black and white photos....Vienna is such a magical place.....it's been a long time since I was there, but your photos helped me take a little reflective journey.

Enjoy your evening.....Michele sent me along......

JAM said...

These photos are amazing. The subjects are too. Such detail in these buildings.

They are well suited to the B&W treatment.

I tend to go through life looking at my feet. Literally.

However, I find that with a camera in my hand, I look all around me and really see things. Even if I never took a photograph again, the camera would be useful to me in getting me to see the beauty all around me.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How are you feeling, my dear? I hope a bit better than when you posted at Michele's and said you were feeling rotten and staying home from work...!

Do take very very good care oif you! ((((HUGS))))

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Beautiful photographs, I especially like the covered arched walkway. They definitely suit black & white.