Monday, November 27, 2006

On top of the world

The thing thta was top of my list to do while I was in New York was to visit the Empire State Building. It is so iconic, being in dozens and dozens of films that I just had to go and see it for myself. Of course, I also wanted to see the wonderful view of NY from the top too so I got up early to avoid the queue and off I went on what was a gloriously sunny day. As you can see from the first photo, the Empire State Building is a wonderful example of Art Deco architecture and there was plenty of evidence of this inside.

I was really lucky with the weather as the visibility was excellent and when I got to the top an absolutely wonderful view of the city was before me on all sides. The photo below is looking uptown and you can just make out Central Park behind the buildings in the centre. I visited the park a couple of times and will share some pics with you in a couple of days.

Below is a picture of the wonderful Chrysler Building, which is another marvellous example of Art Deco architecture and is so unique and elegant looking. I zoomed right in on it as it really is a beautiful to look at and also because I could see it from my hotel window.

In the next photo you can see how the view of the Chrysler Building actually looked from the top of the Empire State Building. This pic is looking East and you can see the East river behind the tall tall buildings with Queens in the background. If you look at the horizon you can also see the curviture of the earth! Isn't that amazing?

The photo below is looking uptown once more but this time I zoomed in on the Flat Iron Building. It is such an unusual shape that it was easy to pick out and you can also see Madison Square Park in front of it. Later the same day I went to that park to see the Flat Iron Building up close and personal as the sun was setting as you can see in the next pic.

For the photo below I zoomed in on a junction of the roads where you can see the ubiquitous yellow cabs. I used these a couple of times though I mostly walked or used the Subway (my poor feet!), and I must say I smiled as I hailed one of these cabs as I have seen it in the movies so many times!

I actually spent quite some time at the Empire State Building but after half an hour it really started to get crowded up there. As I came down I was also surprised by how long the queue had gotten with people waiting to get in and go up. My tip is to get there early though I must say I would like to go back and see the same view at night when the city is all lit up.

(Btw - all the pictures in this post and other posts as indicated are taken by me so please don't reproduce them without permission. Thanks!)

6 comments:

MaR said...

I am truly enjoying your pics, great perspectives and such clear skies!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is so wonderful to see your pictures of the two most Iconic buildings of my childhood...And I love that you could see the East River and Queens...! All those pics from the top of the Empire State Building are wonderful to see....you get such a sense of the density of buildings! I am enjoying your trip sooooo much, Bob-Kat!

Hot(M)BC said...

Cool pikshurs. Maybe Mom will take us to the Empire State Building some day.
Purrrrrrrrrs,
Sanjee, Boni, Mini, Pepi and Gree

Zeus is my Reason for the Season!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a view! I'm getting vertigo just lookin' at the photos!
Daisymae Maus

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I cae back to once again see these wonderful pictures of New York...Oh the nostalgia...! Can't wait to see MORE!!! And you are so right about the "the right place and the right time" where photographs are concerned.....Like I love that shot of the Empire State Building from below...It sure was a beautiful day....!

Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

I went early as well. Did you take the "headset" tour they have at the Empire State Building? The day I went it was cloudy, but I could still see so much because its so high. Its just gorgeous there!