Thursday, May 21, 2009

Other people's words

Picture from Lolcatz

'We lavish on animals the love we are afraid to show to people. They might not return it; or worse they might' ~ Mignon McLaughlin

I've not been around much in blogland this last week or so. All the things I talked of in my last post are still pertinent: I still miss Bob and grieve for him, the change programme at work is very trying and demotivating (having done an MBA I know a good example of 'how not to manage change' when I see it and no, my input is not required), and I am still battling the lack of energy that accompanies an underactive thyroid. I'm not going to go on about all this though as I even get tired of hearing myself at times.

All is not doom and gloom though. I have a long weekend coming up courtesy of a Public holiday adn a couple of days leave and a new sofa being delivered. The old one was looking very tired and it was time for a change. I am also going to see the Royal Shakespeare Company perform Julius Caesar in Stratford-Upon-Avon on Saturday which I am really looking forward to. I haven't much else to tell right now so I thought I would leave you with words of wisdom from other people. Pick the ones that mean the most to you.

'Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.' ~ Oprah Winfrey

'Labels are for filing. Labels are for clothing. Labels are not for people.' ~Martina Navratilova

'Family is just accident... They don't mean to get on your nerves. They don't even mean to be your family, they just are.' ~ Marsha Norman

'Children in a family are like flowers in a bouquet: there's always one determined to face in an opposite direction from the way the arranger desires.' ~ Marcelene Cox

'If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders'.' ~ Abigail Van Buren

'People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within.' ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

'Some people wear their smile like a disguise. Those people who smile a lot, watch their eyes... You think everything's OK, and it is...'til it's not.' ~ Ani Difranco

17 comments:

pink dogwood said...

I was reading a book this morning about someone who put the following line from Shakespeare's sonnet on their mother's tombstone.

For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings Thought it might help you to read this.

Here is the rest of it

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts my self almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're around. Enjoy the weekend and the play.

Cheers.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Mind if I send that one about children being flowers to my parents? Sometimes, it's tiresome being the one facing the opposite direction!

Hang in there, my friend. Sounds like you need a good dose of Trevor. I'm working on more than one dose for you!

Anonymous said...

Hang on in there. Hope M still helping you through difficult times x

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

You've had a lot thrown your way. Be good to yourself, and patient with your feelings.

Enjoy the time off and the new sofa!

Kathryn said...

Sometimes i don't want to comment because everyone else has been so wonderful in what they have said, it doesn't seem i can add anything of significance.

Everything they said!

I like all of these sayings. Very good choices.

I'm glad you're doing ok, tho hurting. Hope things level out a bit & please take care of yourself.

Enjoy your long weekend! :)

Sleepypete said...

I have my extra day planned around :

Friday morning = Bacon Sarnie Morning.

Very important. Can't miss that. Cos the canteen girls would miss me if I did.

Tuesday = England v West Indies cricket

So tomorrow morning I'll be raiding the bacon sarnies and Tuesday I'll be ensconced on the sofa asleep in front of the cricket.

Priorities ! :-)

PS My eyes probably give it away when my grin(tm) is a mask instead of true ... Cos I'll grin to mask the pain I'll get when my longer term niggles remind me they're there.

Niall young said...

I like the one about the children in the bouquet...all the flowers in my bouquet are facing the oppposite direction just now.

AS for your job..we're so good in this country at devaluing things..especially people...your effort and brilliant achievement recently is something you can hold on to no matter how many times you fell ignored...no one can deny you the fact that you did it...your bosses just don't know how lucky they are to have you!

Bobkat said...

Thanks Niall :)

The thing that frustrates me most is that I have these skills but that I am not as high in rank as them and therefore could not possibly know more than them about managing change could I?

Zeus said...

I enjoy this one quote from the movie, The Crow: It can't rain all the time. I feel, after reading your post, that this quote is more than pertinent. Sooner or later, the clouds will part, and your life will begin to pick up speed.

Enjoy the play, and I hope you get some much needed rest over the weekend! :)

Preeti Shenoy said...

Hi Bob-kat,
Long time.
Sorry about Bob.Loved the quote on family and on wearing smiles.
Have a great weekend.
Cheers
preeti

kenju said...

I love the quote about children being like flowers!!

Anonymous said...

A pleasant post BK.... glad things are kicking along there. You know you're always crossing my mind way down here in Alabama.

Dianne said...

I'm pleased that you have some time off and some fun things to look forward to

new furniture is always a pick-me-up, find some colorful pillows and throw them around

love all the quotes especially the ones about family

OldLady Of The Hills said...

These are ALL Great quotes...! What a wonderful thing to give us----I hope you enjoyed The Royal Shakespeare Company....I went there once in 1994 and we saw "MIDSUMMER NIGHTS DREAM"....

I have been thinking about you and your deep loss....Sweetie and I send Big Hugs to you, my dear....

Congrats on your NEW Couch! And I hope you enjoyed your nice l-o-n-g weekend....!

rashbre said...

Hope you have enjoyed the Julius Caesar and can find some time on your long weekend to relax from your new sofa!

Shephard said...

Love the Marsha Norman quote...
`S