Sunday, December 05, 2010

Advent

I am so looking forward to Christmas. I always do of course. My childhood Christmases were so wonderful that the magic of this time of year has always stayed with me. I love choosing presents for friends and family, wrapping them and sending cards. I love receiving cards in the post instead of just bills and junk mail. I love that people are usually just a little bit nicer to each other. The picture is of my advent calendar which has goodies in each pocket ~ a small chocolatey treat.

This year though, Christmas cannot come quickly enough as I get two weeks off work. I so need a break. Other than a couple of odd days off, the only time off work I have had was at Easter. Work has been particularly trying this year as well, mainly due to a very difficult boss, who is a control freak and only seems to care about outputs and process. On receiving a Christmas card from a friend at work, I overheard them ask "Are you allowed to send cards through the internal mail?" The jobsworth on a nearby desk confirmed that you were not and he said "I thought so" and seemed quite satisfied with himself. It just struck me as odd as most people would say "How nice, a Christmas card from so-and-so", but then I suppose it's in character for a person who stated at a team meeting "I don't feel the need to be friendly with my staff". We are a team of four people so needless to say motivation could be better. A year of this has left me somewhat stressed.

On top of that I have been feeling very run down physically too. I went for tests and the doctor confirmed it is my thyroid again (and potentially something else) which would explain the constant tiredness, lack of concentration and the complete absence of energy. Steps are being taken and I have to go back for more tests soon. I still feel like crap all the time though so forgive my lack of blog presence.

Still, thanks to online shopping all my Christmas presents are bought. My tree will be decorated this weekend coming and I will hopefully finish writing my cards this week. I have a Christmas CD in the car and I have a list of Christmas themed films to watch, from classics such as 'White Christmas' and 'It's a Wonderful Life' through to 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' and 'Die Hard' (1&2). Even health problems can't crush the Christmas spirit in this Kat : )


11 comments:

srp said...

I love that you still send cards... every year I intend to do so and every year I fall short. So many other things to get together for elderly parents and they can't help much any more. I better learn how to cook the Christmas dinner fast as I am not sure how long my mom and dad will be able to manage it. Right now she instructs, he tries to follow them, they argue... but with 60 years together... it comes out fine.

Have a blessed Christmas and I hope you get to feeling better soon and get some rest over the holiday!

Sleepypete said...

I'll have the Elaine Paige, Tori Amos and Joan Baez Xmas albums coming through iTunes DJ before Xmas :-)

I don't do the Xmas card thing so much these days but when I was at uni, I'd get a big kick out of running round chasing after people to give them cards. Brings out the Big Grin (tm) :-)

Dianne said...

I love that you're so enthusiastic about Christmas :)

I hope you get loads of rest and have lots of fun

hugs

kenju said...

I love getting cards; especially the ones that are hand-written and have messages. Problem is, I hate to write them!

Anonymous said...

Get better soon. I'm sure the two week break will do you good. If nothing else you can just bask in the Christmas spirit.

Cheers.

Kathryn said...

Hope that the next couple of weeks go quickly for you & the holiday brings you rest & relaxation. :)

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I'm glad the festive season is doing you good. As you seem to be sorted cards and present wise, do you fancy helping me with mine?! Hehe... I'm really behind this year!

Enjoy the 2 week break :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sorry I have not been here...AND, just so you know, every email I send you is "kicked back" to me saying it is undeliveriable and the server won't accept it...Grrr. Not sure what to do, my dear. Is there another email address that I could try to see if it will go through??
I don't want to leave my address on here...So, it is a dilemma.

So sorry you are dealing with so much...(I'm not feeling well at all, myself...) But I'm glad you are not letting it get you too off of Christmas.
I have a card to send you---I just got them...Unfortunately no calendar this year. I just could not get it together---Healthwise or any other way....Not a great time, I'm afraid.

Take good care, my dear, and enjoy your well deserved and so needed time off!

David Edward said...

many presents arrived today, by UPS, most are for the boat, or the RV.
this winter spring may have lots of traveling.... domestically.

Anonymous said...

Call this comment, "The Drive-by 'Merry Christmas'" comment.

Cheers.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A Very Merry Christmas, my dear dear Bob-Kat! I hope you have started on your two weeks away from the Salt Mines, now...And that you are enjoying some of thpse films, as I write this!