Sunday, August 27, 2006

Book Worm

The weather here in the UK has not been so great over August. However, there are still plenty of places to visit that don't involve heading to the nearest shopping mall. The photo above is of a street in another place that I love to visit now and then. It is Hay-on-Wye which is the second hand book capital of the UK. It is literally full of shops selling second hand books on every subject you can imagine! As you can see from the sky in the picture above, the weather was threatening rain but that is what is so nice about Hay, you can walk around it and duck in and out of these very interesting shops and hide from the rain, and it just so happens that I have a love of books.

The photo above was taken inside the 'Cinema Bookshop', so-called because it used to be an old cinema but is now packed with shelves and shelves of books, some of them beautifully bound as you can see from the photo, and some of them are quite rare first editions. The great thing about Hay though is that it is also a lovely place to walk around and has some nice places to stop and recharge with a cool or hot (depending on the weather!) drink and a home baked cake. It is also interesting and the photo below is of Hay castle, part of which has also been turned into a second hand bookshop. If you love books, or simply want to visit somewhere interesting then I can heartily recommend Hay-on-Wye. The drive to it also passes some magnificent countryside with soaring hills where you can often spot Birds of Prey.

5 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love all these wonderful visits to places I won't ever get to see, though I would LOVE to....like Hay...It looks so inviting, even with the clouds and rain!
I love those book shelves, too...there is something about beautifully bound books that is so very appealing....!
Glad you are feeling so much better.

MaR said...

This was great! I can get lost in a bookstore, I love them all! your visit sounds wonderful and so are the pics.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for the very kind words about my garden. I think it's lovely that you have some Cacti in pots and that they flower, too! I know the weather is not right for them to be in the ground, but it is so nice to have a few. They are such forgiving plants in terms of neglect. In fact, generally speaking they do very well with benign neglect! (lol)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog....

I hope things settle down for you soon and that you will be posting again, whewn you can....

MaR said...

Dropping by to say hello on the wednesday my blog woke up to changes I didn't do/plan/ask for...strange things happen in the blogosphere. Hope you are doing well.